My First Geography Bee

20160401_144010

Sponsored by National Geographic the Maryland Geography Bee draws volunteers from the Geography Industry and Academia to connect, energize, and potentially mentor tomorrow’s Geographers through this annual exposition of Geographic Knowledge and skills.  It was instructive to meet the 4th-8th grade contestants from public, private, and home school setting that came to compete in the Maryland State Geography Bee.

20160401_085450 (1)

Parents and participants awaiting preliminary rounds

I have been teaching AP Human Geography at Gwynn Park High School for about 8 years.  Seeing students and parents registering for the preliminary rounds and assemble in the large television studio illuminated for me the level of enthusiasm for Geography to be found in the Old Line State.

20160401_085439

Allison Ewing Bee Coordinator

I had another chance to work with Ms. Allison Ewing, Geographic Bee Coordinator for the State of Maryland and fellow AP Human Geography reader.  She did a great job getting contestants and parents into the spirit of the event and to their respective participation places.

I met Ms. Julie Brown from National Geographic Institute!  I hope I have a chance to work with her in the future!

20160401_113343

Julie Brown from NATGEO

20160401_125808As a moderator for one of the preliminary rounds I asked 20 students 8 questions each.  The students with the best records moved onto the final rounds and/or tie breakers.  Many of the questions were outside of my field of knowledge!

20160401_132740

Professor Virginia Thompson Keeping an Unofficial Score for the Studio Audience

One of 2016’s  top ten contestants Abhinav Karthikeyan went to the National Competition last year.   During the preparation time we watch his performance from last year’s bee.  He finished in the top two but in an upset Abhinav came in second in this year’s Geography Bee.   Overall it was a great experience I am looking forward to supporting it in years to come.

20160401_113755